What services can a Qualified Arborist provide?
Consultation: Advice on everything tree related, from correct planting of recommended species to tree health, structure and stability.
Tree Health Care: Soil amelioration, foliar applications, pest and disease management.
Report Writing: Arborist’s reports for Local Authorities regarding Development Sites (compliant with Australian Standard AS4970-2009 Protection of Trees on Development Sites), Tree safety and/or Impact Assessments.
Pruning: Professional pruning techniques are used to: reduce risk, reduce, wind resistance, improve access over roads or to improve the structure of young trees.
Removal: Safe, controlled techniques to remove hazardous or dangerous trees.
Management Plans: Long term plans for long lived plants or pruning and management programs for Body Corporates, Shopping Centres and School.
As with all trades and professions, there are different levels of qualification for operators and consultants. If you are employing a consultant, they must me qualified to AQF (Australian Qualification Framework) Level 5 Diploma in Horticulture (Arboriculture). If you want a tree removed or pruned professionally, your Arborist must be qualified to the minimum AQF Level 3 in Horticulture (Arboriculture).
When selecting an Arborist, please check that they have:
- Membership of a professional organisation, such as QAA (Queensland Arboricultural Association).
- AQF level 3 in Arboriculture ( as specified in the Australian Standard referred to above)
- Proof of a current Public Liability Insurance
- A list of references from previous clients.
Avoid using the services of a tree a company that:
- Uses lopping as a technique
- Uses spikes for any works apart from when a tree is to be removed.